This is a question that’s been weighing on photographer Jessica Kobeissi‘s mind, so she decided to make the 5.5-minute video above to share her explanation.
There is a reason why you might get a bad look when requesting your raw photos; no, the photographer is not out to get you. Instead they simply want to deliver you the completed product, retouched with all that their talents have to offer.
Why oh why?
- A photographer’s job is weighed heavily by their reputation and releasing raw photos could potentially damage that.
- Most photos are potentially shot darker as it makes them easier to retouch and highlight appropriately
- People who have received raw photos are not happy with them for reasons like the one above
- Camera raw files are difficult to work with if you are not a professional
- Raw photos do not possess a photographer’s signature style – basically the reason for which they are hired
- Post-editing of photos by clients also threatens a photographer’s reputation
Featured image credit: Jessica Kobeissi‘s